Recently Played

Recently Played Games

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Calkins and Tabletop Gaming - Day 3

Today was another play day. We had the games out around the room and groups were set to learn the games using the same investigatory strategies that we went over yesterday. I always make them go through the same process of "investigating" the game before they dive full into it. But after yesterday, I was feeling pretty discouraged. Why are they having so many problems understanding the games? Why can't they read the directions?

Of course it dawned on me that many of them don't even read one sentence directions on assignments, tests, or even just the board at the front of the classroom, so maybe it's just something about that age. I also understand that some of the directions for the games can be super complicated, even for adults. So I treated yesterday as an exposure day and today I focused on going around to the kids and clarifying what was confusing and redirecting their inquiry when I knew it was clearly stated in the directions.

For quick games, I even demoed turns for my more kinesthetic and visual learners. I knew I would eventually have to, it was just shocking to have to do it for 6 groups 4xs a day! I mean... it's like I'm running a mini-game convention in here!

My favorite comment was, "I've never played games like these! It's so neat!" That was after they got through the directions that they found so frustrating. A group of girls was playing Forbidden Island and were having difficulty with the directions and finally figured it all out, played through, AND won. Was it a proper win? I can't guarantee that, but it was the investment they had in the game that mattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment